There’s a lot of sensitivity in engineering to protect our clients and make sure that photos we use for marketing purposes are properly vetted.
We didn’t have any permission-based controls on images, so that meant that people were the gatekeepers, which created huge bottlenecks. You’re taking people who are already very busy trying to put together proposals under very tight deadlines, then tapping them to go search for photos that are approved for use. What we were finding was that the people who had the knowledge base to go along with the photos had a difficult time keeping up with the company-wide requests for photos.
Because this process wasn’t efficient, we ended up with a handful of standard photos that were featured in almost every proposal and the library wasn’t really growing.